Marino Zerial, director of the MPI-CBG, was elected member of the prestigious Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti, which is located in Venice and created by Napoleon for the Kingdom of Italy in 1810. The ceremony, in which new members were welcomed, was held on May 26th, 2019 in Palazzo Ducale. The Institute is an Academy divided into two Classes: the Class of Sciences and the Class of Humanities, each comprising 145 members. Fellows are formally appointed by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities after having been elected by the Assembly of the members.
The Institute’s activities include monthly academic meetings, where fellows present their studies to be published in the magazine «Atti dell’Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti». The Institute also regularly promotes meetings, conferences, and seminars on Sciences, Humanities, and Art and publishes and prints books, and owns a rich library and several archives, including that of Luigi Luzzatti, Italian Prime Minister in 1911.